Windows Media Player is available for Windows-based devices. … Included in clean installs of Windows 10 as well as upgrades to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 or Windows 7. In some editions of Windows 10, it’s included as an optional feature that you can enable.
What replaces Windows Media Player in Windows 10?
Part 3. Other 4 Free Alternatives to Windows Media Player
- VLC Media Player. Developed by VideoLAN Project, VLC is a free and open-source multimedia player that supports playing all types of video formats, DVDs, VCDs, Audio CDs, and streaming protocols. …
- KMPlayer. …
- GOM Media Player. …
Why is Windows Media Player not working on Windows 10?
1) Try reinstalling Windows Media Player with a PC restart in between: Type Features in Start Search, open Turn Windows Features On or Off, under Media Features, uncheck Windows Media Player, click OK. Restart PC, then reverse the process to check WMP, OK, restart again to reinstall it.
What is Windows Media Player for Windows 10?
Windows Media Player (WMP) is a media player and media library application developed by Microsoft that is used for playing audio, video and viewing images on personal computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system, as well as on Pocket PC and Windows Mobile-based devices.
Does Windows 10 have a built in video player?
Some apps use the video platform that’s built into Windows 10. … For these apps, you can control video playback using the video playback settings in Windows 10. To open the video playback settings, select Start > Settings > Apps > Video playback.
Is there anything better than Windows Media Player?
The best alternative is VLC Media Player, which is both free and Open Source. Other great apps like Windows Media Player are MPC-HC (Free, Open Source), foobar2000 (Free), PotPlayer (Free) and MPV (Free, Open Source).
Does Windows 10 come with a DVD player?
Windows DVD Player in Windows 10. Users who upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, or from Windows 8 with Windows Media Center, should’ve received a free copy of Windows DVD Player. Check the Windows Store, and you should be able to download it for free.
Why can’t I get Windows Media Player to work?
Disable and re-enable Windows Media Player in Windows Features. In the Windows Search bar, type Windows features and select Turn Windows features on or off. Navigate to Windows Media Player and disable it by unchecking the box. Reboot your PC and re-enable Windows Media Player again.
How do I get Windows Media Player to work?
How to Set Up Windows Media Player
- Choose Start→All Programs→Windows Media Player. …
- Select the Custom Settings option and click Next. …
- Check the boxes you really want to use, and click the Next button. …
- Check the box to add an icon to the Quick Launch toolbar; then click the Next button.
Why does my Windows Media Player not play DVD?
If you see an error from Windows Media Player that says “compatible DVD decoder not installed,” this means that a plugin (called an mpeg-2 decoder) needed to play DVDs is not installed. … We recommend downloading this software from www.videolan.org in order to play DVDs on your computer.
How do I download media player for Windows 10?
In some editions of Windows 10, it’s included as an optional feature that you can enable. To do that, select the Start button, then select Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Manage optional features > Add a feature > Windows Media Player, and select Install.
What’s the best free media player for Windows 10?
If you’re struggling to figure out the best option, here are the best free media players available for Windows 10.
- VLC Media Player. VLC Media Player is the most popular media player in the world. …
- PotPlayer. PotPlayer is a media player app from South Korea. …
- Media Player Classic. …
- ACG Player. …
- MPV. …
How do I use Windows Media Player on Windows 10?
Windows Media Player in Windows 10. To find WMP, click Start and type: media player and select it from the results at the top. Alternately, you can right-click the Start button to bring up the hidden quick access menu and choose Run or use the keyboard shortcut Windows Key+R. Then type: wmplayer.exe and hit Enter.
Is Windows Media Player discontinued?
Microsoft is known for removing classic Desktop apps and replacing them with modern Store equivalents. Windows 10 already offers a modern version of Calculator instead of the classic app.
Which video player is best for Windows 10?
Top 10 BEST Video Player For Windows 10 And Mac [2021 List]
- Comparing Some Of The Best Media Players.
- #1) CyberLink PowerDVD 20 Ultra.
- #2) VideoLAN VLC Media Player.
- #3) GOM Player.
- #4) Pot Player.
- #5) Media Player Classic – Home Cinema.
- #6) Plex.
- #7) MusicBee.
How do I play a video on Windows 10?
On a PC running Windows 10, select Start > File Explorer, or select File Explorer from the taskbar. Press and hold (or right-click) the MP4 file you want to play, select Open with, and then choose your preferred file player from the list of applications.