How do I get my operating system back on Mac?
Enter Recovery (either by pressing Command+R on an Intel Mac or by pressing and holding the power button on a M1 Mac) A macOS Utilities window will open, on which you will see the options to Restore From Time Machine Backup, Reinstall macOS [version], Safari (or Get Help Online in older versions) and Disk Utility.
How do I reinstall Mac OS manually?
- Choose Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X) from the utilities window.
- Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions. You’ll be asked to select your disk. If you don’t see it, click Show All Disks. …
- Click Install. Your Mac restarts after installation is complete.
How do I do a clean install of OSX?
Step 4: Wipe your Mac
- Connect your boot drive.
- Start up – or restart – your Mac while holding down the Option key (also known as Alt). …
- Choose to install your chosen version of macOS from the external drive.
- Select Disk Utility.
- Select your Mac’s start up disc, probably called Macintosh HD or Home.
- Click on Erase.
How do I reinstall OSX without disc?
Reinstall Your Mac’s OS Without an Installation Disc
- Turn your Mac on, while holding the CMD + R keys down.
- Select “Disk Utility” and click on Continue.
- Select the startup disk and go to the Erase Tab.
- Select the Mac OS Extended (Journaled), give a name to your disk and click on Erase.
- Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.
Will I lose data if I reinstall macOS?
2 Answers. Reinstalling macOS from the recovery menu does not erase your data. However, if there is a corruption issue, your data may be corrupted as well, its really hard to tell. … To gain access to the disk depends on what model Mac you have.
How do I restore my Macintosh HD?
Restore a disk using Disk Utility on Mac
- In the Disk Utility app on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices. …
- In the sidebar, select the volume you want to restore, then click the Restore button . …
- Click the Restore pop-up menu, then choose the volume you want to copy.
- Click Restore, then click Done.
How do I reinstall macOS from USB?
Simply plug your created USB drive into an open USB port on your Mac. Power on the system, or restart it if it’s already on. Immediately press and hold the Option (Alt) key on your keyboard when it starts booting. You should now see an option to select your USB drive as a startup disk.
How do I reinstall OSX without Internet?
Command R – Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac, without upgrading to a later version. Shift Option Command R – Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available.
When should I reinstall OSX?
The main reason most people would reinstall macOS is because their system is completely messed up. Maybe error messages pop up constantly, software won’t run correctly, and other usability issues prevent you from working normally. In extreme cases, your Mac might not even boot.
How do I wipe my Mac hard drive and reinstall OS?
Erase and reinstall macOS
- Start up your computer in macOS Recovery: …
- In the Recovery app window, select Disk Utility, then click Continue.
- In Disk Utility, select the volume you want to erase in the sidebar, then click Erase in the toolbar.
What happens if I reinstall Mac OS?
macOS Reinstallation Deletes Everything, What Can I Do
Reinstalling macOS of macOS Recovery can help you replace the current problematic OS with a clean version quickly and easily. Technically speaking, simply reinstalling macOS won’t erase your disk either delete files.
What is command R on Mac?
Command (⌘)-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery system. Or use Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R to start up from macOS Recovery over the Internet. macOS Recovery installs different versions of macOS, depending on the key combination you use while starting up.
How do I reinstall OSX without backup?
How to Update & Reinstall macOS Without Losing Data
- Start up your Mac from macOS Recovery. …
- Select “Reinstall macOS” from the Utilities Window and click “Continue”.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to select the hard drive you want to install the OS on and start the installation.
How do I restore my Mac without reinstalling operating system?
How to use the Erase All Content and Settings feature to reset a Mac
- Open Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Select System Preferences from the Apple menu bar.
- Choose Erase All Content and Settings.
- Type your admin password and click OK and Continue.
- Read the warnings and select Erase All Content & Settings.
How do I reinstall Mac OS if recovery is unavailable?
How to use Internet Recovery to reinstall macOS
- Shut down your Mac.
- Hold down Command-Option/Alt-R and press the Power button. …
- Hold down those keys until you a spinning globe and the message “Starting Internet Recovery. …
- The message will be replaced with a progress bar. …
- Wait for the MacOS Utilities screen to appear.